How Are We Different?

This week has been really great so far. Monday, Lindsey and I spent the morning with Dusty (the preacher at UCC) as he guided us through some thoughts on prayer and silence. He started off by asking us about our prayer lives, I talked about journaling and trying to pray throughout the day. After we discussed that he went on discuss prayer. He talked about how prayer means being mindful of God and impressed on me the importance of prayer in the life of a minister. I am looking forward very much to our meetings with Dusty every monday morning. I cannot tell you already how much of a difference having a guide and minister in prayer has made in my prayer life. I sense that this may be a key component to a deep spiritual life, one that, sadly, is often hard to find in churches. After our talk with Dusty he sent us to go practice what we had discussed. After about 45 minutes of prayer time the whole office went to lunch together at Larry's pizza. I enjoyed very much getting to know my co-workers better. The more I get to know Dusty the more I like and look up to him, I am lucky to have both him and Jason as guides this summer. Monday afternoon Lindsey and I worked on our plans for S.S.S. and then were done for the day. Monday night the Westjohns (the family I am now staying with) came over to Jason's and we ate dinner together. They are a nice family with two good young men in the youth group. Austin, the younger brother, reminds me a lot of Paul when he was that age. 

Tuesday was spent with the teens at S.S.S. and later swimming. S.S.S. went well for the first time. Jason said this was the largest group they have had show up and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The bible story was perhaps a bit awkward but we will work out the kinks as we continue to try to communicate the story of Jesus to these children. The whole youth group went to lunch at wendy's then swimming at a family's house. I participated in a belly flop competition after being egged on by Jason and I am still recovering. Tuesday afternoon I moved into the Westjohn's house, the boys seemed excited about my arrival. That night we had a disappointing loss in softball and we only have one more game, this Thursday. 

Wednesday always has the potential of being a long day but this one was a nice exception. I went to breakfast with my geriatric gentlemen which was fun as usual. Jason then gave me the rest of the morning off because Lindsey was coming in until that afternoon. I spent part of the morning over at Hastings, browsing the book section. The rest of the morning I took the time to pray and practice silence. It was a deeply spiritual experience and I am thankful to Dusty and Henri Nouwen for helping me connect with my God. I went to lunch with Dusty and Jason which I really enjoyed. I got to learn a little bit about the church's history and was informed that I would be speaking on the last wednesday night I am in Arkansas. The church is doing a series entitled: God Helps those who Help Themselves and Other Misguided Notions about Faith. I will be speaking (From what I have been told, this is tentative though) about family not being the most important thing in our lives. It will be my last Wednesday night so I figure I can  offend everyone. 


My close friend Garrett and I share much of our spiritual journey together. One of the questions that is central to his walk and challenges me to think and act differently is this:  How does my life look different, as a Christian, from others who do not believe? I was reminded of this important question as I listened to Dusty talk about prayer. Dusty described prayer as a mindfulness of God. The our goal of ceaseless prayer means that we would always be mindful of God, aware of him during each moment of the day. What a beautiful difference that would make in our lives and in the lives of others! 


No comments: