Theology

I, too, come to that tree
and having heard the story
am patient before choosing.
That serpent is still crafty though
and so points to the highest branch,
over to the left, where the leaves
occasionally brush against the tree
of life (on a breezy day). There,
a small dark fruit hangs.
"What fruit is that," I ask with
squinting eyes. The snake replies:
"theology."

Now, the dense fruit in my hand,
the serpent's promise comes,
"You will be like God," and
having heard the story, I am
already swallowing. Then, true
to that serpents word, I crash
into the bushes in search of God.
"Where are you?!" I shout.
His answer comes: "I heard you
in the garden, so I hid."
And seeing his naked body
I pronounce my own curse:
"Put your clothes on, Lord."

3 comments:

Brad East said...

Beautiful. I live for these posts. After reading this one, I turned to Katelin and told her I'm going to be your self-appointed agent, and will publish these sometime soon. I think I might start thinking of you like I'm your patron, and send you pieces of art or other poems or books and have you respond in poetry. Although I guess patrons usually have money...

David said...

Sounds great to me, you're hired! By the way, I celebrated greatly yesterday and thought about you when I found a copy of Wendell Berry's Sex, Economy, Freedom & Community for ONE DOLLAR at the Salvation Army! I started reading it as soon as I got home with it... jack pot!

Brad East said...

Now that's what I'm talking about. I've got to get you his sabbath and collected poems; I feel like both our heads will explode with the glory that will flow forth.