Faithfulness

Sometimes, at the pulpit, I imagine I am
officiating Your wedding.
In our counseling sessions 
I wasn't convinced you two 
would make a good match. 
To be honest, I thought you could 
do better. But I could see you
were in love so I relented. 
Now you stand beside me,
rocking on your feet
and I think
"I'd be nervous too, buddy."
What is it that you see in her?
She doesn't deserve the white dress
she has on, but no one is saying anything.
She waves at ex-boyfriends on her way
up the aisle. 
I roll my eyes --- you are smiling.
"Who presents this bride?" I ask.
but You've already taken her by the hand 
then turn expectantly toward me.
You've written your own vows, 
and I frown as she struggles
to keep her eyes open
as you read them. 
Now her turn comes, and to be safe,
she repeats after me the words she needs.
And I wonder to myself as I hear
the weighty words I am pronouncing,
if it is enough that You have heard her 
say them. 





4 comments:

Brad East said...

If I were the only one in the world who read your poems, it would be worth it for ones like these. Bravo sir.

David said...

Thanks, Brad! You are too kind.

Heather Hollaway said...

Bravo! I saw a link on Facebook to your newest and backtracked - and this one really struck me.

David said...

Thanks Heather, glad to hear from you. Hope all is well with you!